Bucks day on Wheels

Just when you think you've seen it all.  Saturday morning started out much like any other - riding down to the local tennis courts to watch my two older boys play tennis, talk cycling with the other parents - then all of a sudden I catch two guys without bikes swapping vintage riding jerseys like the ones Lance was wearing when he was doped to the eyeballs and seemingly at the top of his game.  It seemed to be a case of that one fits better on you than me.  Perhaps it was a case of male insecurity.  Does my gut look big in this? That's the thing about lycra, you can't hide anything.  I'm more inclined to say who cares what you look like, just get out there and ride.   

An hour later I'm on my way home and I spotted a group of 25 plus guys all in various arrays of riding gear having a BBQ and drinking beers in the park.  Surely there's got to be a story in that I thought to myself.  As I got closer I realised something was missing among the blokes, beer, bbq, bravado, beards and bike kit - there were no bikes! Not evident at this stage were the fine range of colour coded scooters all lined up in the fence of the adjoining playground.  Clearly this was no random event, there was one more B word missing from the earlier mentioned list and that was the buck. 



Welcome to the Tour de Ames, a pub scoot where Amesy the Buck in the tradition of the day was given the honour of riding the brightest looking steed of the day, a beautiful Barbie scooter.  Each scooter was decked out with a commemorative casquette or riding cap, a lanyard for its owner complete with name and map of the tour, just in case anyone forgot where they were going.   

You could tell a lot of thought went into organising this event.  There's nothing worse than one drunken individual on a bike let alone 25 and as far as I know you can't get booked by the police (in Victoria at least) for drink riding whilst riding a scooter on a footpath.  For all I know  those scooters could have become a means for standing up later in the day.  Kudos to the best man and bucks party organisers in giving the man who has almost everything his very own tour.  

It would be great to hear back from the boys on the bucks party how it all went, but in the tradition of 'what happens on the bucks party stays on the bucks party' I'll leave it there, unless of course anyone who was there or saw anything in the vicinity of Fitzroy cares to contribute.

Comments

  1. True, it was not like my usual 5am roll-out, however this bunch rode hard and fast, with far more respect for the road than the "Hell Ride".

    Overall we toured 5 stages and hydrated well between each with the Yellow jersey furiously sort. I do actually believe you CAN get done for .05 on on a variety of vehicles in Vic. however the local police admired our signalling and calling of "Rolling, Lights, Stopping and Car Back" as we crossed some very busy streets including Alexander Pde! They did show is little attention with a "Whoop-whoop" of the siren.

    Other than a couple of scraped knees from dropping into a skate bowl and a few blown tyres an outstanding Tour de Ames was had.

    Thanks Boys!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Northern Combine St Kilda Trophy Race (Where's the pothole patrol?)

Easter Epic 2024 / Everest Roam

Rob Monk Memorial Handicap - Race Report