Cycling, Coffee, Music & Action

Have to admit I've been a little distracted with work and other pursuits for the past few months, which has not left a lot of time for blogging about cycling culture.  I'm hoping that just like a good ride can blow out the cobwebs and get me refocused, a stimulating encounter of the sensory kind might be enough to get back to the blog I enjoy writing.

Whilst out for my run yesterday morning I spotted a tent set up next to the bike path near the corner of Nicholson and Park Sts in North Fitzroy.  Must be counting bikes for a survey I thought.  Hang on a minute it's a little too early for Ride to Work Day on Wednesday the 16th October.  Oh well I'll stop and check it out on the way back.  

Well I have to hand it to the clever folk at St Ali cafe in North Carlton, as they really know how to capture the attention of the passing traffic.  About 100m from the tent was a young lady with a smile and promises of more ahead.  Yes that's her below.


The main event in the tent was a classical musical trio.  Don't ask me what they were playing, it could have been that classical music favourite Enter the Sandman by Metallica for all I cared, but it was good.  But what was even better was the offer of a free coffee - giving you the power to pedal on.  By the look of the smiles on this crew, it was clear they had already enjoyed a few of the sponsor's brew or perhaps they had already ridden into work. It's hard to tell sometimes.


So yet another creative way of weaving the connection of cycling, caffeine and culture.  The good news from recent research (some doco I watched on SBS) is that caffeine does have a positive impact on an athlete's performance, so perhaps the time spent waiting for a coffee can be made up for by going a little faster.

By the way if you haven't registered for national ride to work day, you can do so via the link.  There are plenty of incentives with free breakfast events all over the place and if you've traveled on public transport in Melbourne or anywhere for that matter, you will appreciate not having to share your personal commuting space with 100s of complete strangers.  The people of the East Brunswick to St Kilda 86 tram know what I'm talking about.

The author of this blog discloses that he was sans bicycle at the time and did not accept any free caffeine in exchange for this story.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Northern Combine St Kilda Trophy Race (Where's the pothole patrol?)

Easter Epic 2024 / Everest Roam

Rob Monk Memorial Handicap - Race Report