Wheel Friends

One of things which really stands out about cyclists is the strong tendency to look out for each other.  If you are out for a bunch ride and get a flat and have to pull over to change a tube, your mates riding with you are going to pull over and wait for you or even render assistance if it's needed.  If I'm riding solo, riders going past will often slow and ask if everything's ok and I'll do the same.  There's an instant trust, camaraderie and willingness to help because you are one of us which you just don't get if you're stranded in your car.  I've done it myself and just driven past someone in a car and it's not that I don't want to help, but mechanics is not my strong suit, it feels kind of creepy nowadays to help a complete stranger and the person seems to be on their mobile phone to their local roadside assistance provider.

My Dad on the other hand is one of those people who will stop and render assistance.  A backyard mechanic, he knows his way around most common mechanical faults.  As a kid I recall day or night he'd often stop and get a stranded motorist going.  There was no distinction between complete strangers or locals we knew from the town where we lived.   The world has changed, cars are more reliable than they used to be, we wouldn't dream of not having roadside assistance, most of us carry some form of mobile communication (and hence more self sufficient) and we don't trust people as much as we used to, but it's not that people in general are any less trustworthy. 

I've been following http://wakemeforcake.blogspot.com/ which is the blog of my brother in law and Sister in law's journey through the centre of Australia and back down the east coast. From their writings I get the sense the 4WD community also has a strong sense of looking after their own, but if you are driving and everyday car, sorry mate you are on your own.

This got me thinking about two things.  What other informal groups are more likely to look out for their own? In what circumstances would it be ok to accept the assistance of a complete stranger?

Comments

  1. Love your Dad. So true about certain "rules" within different communities.
    I think the mama community is like this. I once saw a mom with a bunch of little kids and one did the almighty puke. I took on her other kids while she took the sickie to the public bathroom to get cleaned up. I was a total stranger, but there was mama trust. I find we give each other knowing glances, encouraging looks and chat freely like old pals in the line-up at the grocery stores.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Northern Combine St Kilda Trophy Race (Where's the pothole patrol?)

Easter Epic 2024 / Everest Roam

Rob Monk Memorial Handicap - Race Report